Well... the secret was kept as long as possible. But, the news is finally out. Chad and I are expecting our second child on January 22nd, 2009. Leah is going to be a big sister!!
We are soooo excited! We heard the heartbeat last Monday and our Doctor was brave enough to say she THINKS it's going to be A GIRL!! We'll find out at our Ultrasound on August 25th, so stayed tuned.
Now... I have to share how difficult this secret was to keep. First of all, lets talk about work. Everyone kept telling me how tired, sick and pale I looked (wonderful compliments, I know). Well, the fact was I was feeling nauseous off and on ALL DAY for weeks. Not a fun way start to the pregnancy, but already completely different from my first (when I felt great almost the entire time). But, I believe the nausea is finally starting to go away (fingers crossed). Plus, one of my co-workers is expecting TWINS in March (so talk is all over the office) AND another co-worker's wife is due... when you ask? IN JANUARY!! Very hard not to jump in with my own experiences/ pregnancy update. However, the news was announced at the office two weeks ago, so no more secrets.
On to our Friends... well we told a couple close friends early on. I was trying to decide how to bring up the topic to announce to everyone else (especially friends at church), but luckily I didn't have to worry. While Chad was attending a Birthday party the secret slipped (by the Birthday boy), so news was finally out with friends. It's so much easier when someone else announces for you. I actually wasn't there for the slip up, so when I finally did arrive, I was welcomed with CONGRATULATIONS all around. It was great!! : ) Thanks Aaron!
Family... these are my favorite!!!!! My sister Sarah came for a visit in June (I had just realized I was pregnant a few weeks prior and wanted to announce at my Nanny's 75th birthday party in July), so I had to keep my secret from her. This was not easy!! As I mentioned before, I was feeling nauseous ALL DAY off and on, and we had planned a day trip to Seattle. I was tired, nauseous, and probably grumpy (though no one said it) but all in all I think I did OK. She asked a few times if I was OK (apparently I didn't look too great at times), but admitted later that pregnancy didn't even cross her mind. Even with my being so tired (I didn't stay up past 9pm or want to get out of bed in the morning while she was here), the secret stayed secret.
My mom... She was planning her mother's 75th Birthday Dinner and decided they would get her one of those family necklaces with everyone's birthstones on them. One morning she called to verify Leah's birthstone (which seemed to make sense at the time, but later I came to realize she was digging for pregnancy information as my sisters both got the same sneaky phone call). Well... I was the only one who fell for it, and told her to get a stone for January. Of course, she was excited and was able to keep the secret right up to the Dinner (even from my dad).
My brother... Bart recently moved to Alberta for work and would not be able to attend my Nanny's Birthday Party. He was given the news through email and told not to reveal my secret until AFTER THE PARTY.
A cousin, aunts... then a sister. Out of the blue I got an email from my cousin Michelle congratulating me on my 2nd pregnancy. Of course I was surprised... WHO TOLD?? And so I asked her. I immediately thought my brother had spilled the beans, but came to find out... it was none other than... CHAD!! He had sent out an email for work (Pre-Paid Legal, email me if you're interested in learning more) and had mentioned our exciting news. Well, not only my cousin received the email but apparently two aunts as well. My sister Dawn called me Friday night (day before the Birthday Dinner) to chit chat (or so I thought). Not even 15 mins into our conversation she asks me flat out... are you pregnant?? Well... if you know me, you know I can't lie. I told her YES... what made her ask? Apparently, my aunt Christine was one of those lucky people who received Chad's email and wondered why no one had told her I was pregnant (my family is very close - news like this gets spread FAST). Well, she called my sister who had no idea what she was talking about, she hadn't received any email. So of course, she called me. I explained the situation... Chad forgetting about my little secret with my family and sending out the email to a few friends and family. She assured me they wouldn't tell my secret until AFTER the dinner.
The Birthday Dinner... although I was unable to be there with my family to celebrate my Nanny's 75th Birthday, I hope I was able to bring a little more joy to the day. The necklace was given along with the extra stone and the announcement was made. The news was finally out... or was it?
My father... if any of you know my dad, you know that when there is big news to share, it MUST be delivered by the person to whom the news belongs. Otherwise, he hasn't heard a thing. That also applies in my situation (even being so far from home). So when I spoke to my mom Saturday night after the dinner, she reminded me that my dad "still didn't know". Since he was already in bed, I would have to call on Sunday and share my news. So, Sunday around dinner I was able to call and finally share the news with my dad... Leah is going to be a big sister. He was excited and enjoyed hearing more about Leah and what she's been up to. He's such a funny guy, we love him!
So... that's it... you may all go and spread the good news. We will keep you posted on any updates and especially after we have the ultrasound in August.
Jailyn's Enrollment Ceremony
12 years ago
5 comments:
AUGH!! YAY!! Congratulations! I'm so excited for you guys.
Hey Suz!
Geez time flies but it feels like yesterday when we were working in the office at Lambton laughing at Dave jingling his change ALL day! Oh and remember working out at the YMCA...who knew laughing and running on a treadmill could be THAT dangerous!
Well congrats on your news, so happy for you! Your daughter is so sweet! I guess I have news of my own...I had my first, a boy on April 2nd...he was 10 lbs 1 oz! I'm off for a year and loving it! Miss you!
Sandy
Why did the doctor "think" it was a girl? Did you already have one ultrasound? That is so exciting! I can't wait to find out for sure.
No ultrasound yet. We heard the heartbeat on the 14th and it was either 156 or 166 (Chad and I heard differently lol). Our Doctor told us if it's around 140 she won't say either way, but if its around 160 she'll GUESS it's a girl, if it's around 130 she'll GUESS it's a boy. It was pretty fun. Nothing definite of course, but I would really like to have another girl. Every girl needs a sister!!
Congrats! I felt so dumb at the party when everyone but me knew you were pregnant. I guess I missed the slip-up!
And way cute blog! Thanks for sharing it. :)
Post a Comment